Mujhe tod lena banmaali, us path per dena tum faink....
Chaah nahi main surbaal ke gahanon mai guthaa jaaoon
Chaah nahi premi maalaa main bindh pyaari ko lalachaaoon
Chaah nahi samraton ke shav pe hey hari daala jaaoon
chaah nahi devon ke sir per chadun bhagya pe itaraaoon
Mujhe tod lenaa banmaali us path per dena tum faink
Matribhumi per shish chadaane jis path jaye veer anek.
-Makhan Lal Chaturvedi
While commemorating this precious day of Indian Independence I would like to recite this poem of Sri Makhan Lal Chaturvedi. I have known this poem since my early childhood and no poem by far could efface the impression it made in my mind. This poem evokes an interesting anecdote connected to my frivolous childhood.
I was so fond of this poem that whenever someone would ask me to recite a poem I would take this poem (as I had remembered it by heart) and recite in full rhythm with the finest possible gravity and crescendos. I had an uncle. After listening to my poem he would ask my father's name as if to test my skill. When I would tell him my father's name and he would interrupt me in-between and would tell me with his adorable chuckle-" no son.. don't you forget. your father's name is Sri Makhan Lal Chaturvedi" and we would laugh together.
I love this poem not because it evokes my memory but because it is lovable. I have rarely seen such an allegorical poem fermenting such loads of inspiration and patriotism. The poem contains no big words like the chhayavadi's poems-Himadri tung shring se prabudha shudha bharati... nevertheless makes an unforgettable impression.
The other poem which I love most is by Mohammad Iqbal...
Saare Jahan se achha Hindostan humara...
Hum bulbule hain iski ye gulistan humara..
The depth of love for one's country and the gravity of thoughts which it provokes are a rare combo seen in a patriotic song...
Poet's forte in his finesse in ferocious play of words is clearly distictive in this poem. . And his light style of preaching is praise worthy.
Majahab nahi sikhata aapas main bair rakhana..
This line is relevant even in the present scenario..in the fastly developing India. Fractious elements have largely proliferated themselves ...we are still eclipsed by religion, caste and other darkening elements. We actually have not understood the meaning of Independence still.
Kaisi hai pehchhan tumhari ...raah bhulne per milte ho...
We celebrate THE DAY and think that we have fulfilled our obligations towards our country. But is it all we need to...
Instead of celebrating Independence day with fanfares... Why can't we let our heart burgeon ...why can't we forswear such foolish concepts of religion ..caste ...why can we forgo our fanaticism...?
Why don't we say .....WE ABOMINATE RELIGIONS...because they alienate.
I was so fond of this poem that whenever someone would ask me to recite a poem I would take this poem (as I had remembered it by heart) and recite in full rhythm with the finest possible gravity and crescendos. I had an uncle. After listening to my poem he would ask my father's name as if to test my skill. When I would tell him my father's name and he would interrupt me in-between and would tell me with his adorable chuckle-" no son.. don't you forget. your father's name is Sri Makhan Lal Chaturvedi" and we would laugh together.
I love this poem not because it evokes my memory but because it is lovable. I have rarely seen such an allegorical poem fermenting such loads of inspiration and patriotism. The poem contains no big words like the chhayavadi's poems-Himadri tung shring se prabudha shudha bharati... nevertheless makes an unforgettable impression.
The other poem which I love most is by Mohammad Iqbal...
Saare Jahan se achha Hindostan humara...
Hum bulbule hain iski ye gulistan humara..
The depth of love for one's country and the gravity of thoughts which it provokes are a rare combo seen in a patriotic song...
Poet's forte in his finesse in ferocious play of words is clearly distictive in this poem. . And his light style of preaching is praise worthy.
Majahab nahi sikhata aapas main bair rakhana..
This line is relevant even in the present scenario..in the fastly developing India. Fractious elements have largely proliferated themselves ...we are still eclipsed by religion, caste and other darkening elements. We actually have not understood the meaning of Independence still.
Kaisi hai pehchhan tumhari ...raah bhulne per milte ho...
We celebrate THE DAY and think that we have fulfilled our obligations towards our country. But is it all we need to...
Instead of celebrating Independence day with fanfares... Why can't we let our heart burgeon ...why can't we forswear such foolish concepts of religion ..caste ...why can we forgo our fanaticism...?
Why don't we say .....WE ABOMINATE RELIGIONS...because they alienate.

10 Comments:
hi gopal
I like the poem "pushp ki abhilasa" very much and mainly because of its simplicity and even so it able to make such a good mark. Simple and yet powerful like true poetry.
You rightly told that perhaps we dont understand the meaning of freedom. But who will tell the meaning of the freedom. Is it something which has to told by someone or should be self realised, I dont know. On the first thought it appears that freedon should be self realised. But then i tend to think all mortals are not blessed with equal powers. Many may not understand what freedom is. They have to be told. This is the reason that sometime each one of ur require some light...some light by others. Their light may enlighten us. Closing your eyes and ears to them would not be appropiate.
But there is onething which i think is not very good. You ended your post saying that religion should be abominated (i have to search wordweb to get the meaning :P). But I think diversity is not a problem. Every complex and good system requires different parts of different shapes and sizes and properties. Similarly if we want to have a ideal society there should be co-existence and not monotony. Waise bhi "Majhab nahi sikhata apas me bair rakhna ". I do believe that caste and religion system are like different colours of the rainbow and for making the rainbow you need different colours...for making a tune you need the whole sargam. The narrowness behind the caste and religious system should be removed. Well this is againt the most obvious thing that if there are different religions all cannot overcome this narrowness. Narrowness is there in ours minds and will be there forever....I dont know for good or for bad. Sometime i also feel that Nationalism is also a narrowness of our minds. Still we need these narrowness but we should be open enough to accept all with open arms and a pure heart. Then perhaps we will be able to make a better society.
Well said Bhavesh..
I too believe whatever you said about religion ..I believe ...Majahab nahi sikhata aapas main bair rakhana...
but would you tell me how many people abide by this concept...
Everybody just sing this line and that's it...
How many understand the true underlines of religion ? I hate it becuase it is not understood...I hate it becuase it devides us...( even though I believ diversity adorn the society)...Forget about the ideality and what relion should have been ...I hate that religion which is present, prevailed and percieved in the present society.
Thanks for staying arround..
Bye...
Then gopal that freedom will be short cut to the freedom. Everything worth having should be acquired slowly. If anyone truly wants to have that freedom then for that person, the plessure of fighting this great battle is equivalent to the plessure of living in that FREEDOM....or even more. I know i sound bookish :P
pushp ki abhilasha was one of my favourite poems in school, somehow it is so pithy, gagar mein sagar types... and yet so melodious!
great post! keep writing...
Hey nice views.... lemme add to ur views on differences based on religion caste etc... I feel the real beauty of India lies is in its diversity, one colur is beautiful in contrast to the presence of another colour being present at its sorrounding... a rainbow is beautiful because of the existence of differnt colours... but still they r all bound together... every individual is differnt at an individual level but still there is something that binds every1 together... some common things do exist between all the diversities....
Freedom implies every individual is free to do or practice his/her own customs and traditions, religions.... and while doing so one has to take care not to interpret FREEDOM in a wrong sense
MAZHAB KABHI NAHI SIKHATA AAPAS MEY BAIR RAKHNA
Diversities should always exist, and along with it there shud be some forces binding them all together
Unity in Diversity long live in India to make it a beauty as it is
@Voice..
I think we should be more pragmatic than bookish.
@KK
That's true KK. This is the real beauty and real tough to say sth in such easy though powerful words.
@Sabyasachi..
I never deny the import of diversity but I believe they appeal only when there is consonance among them. As voice pointed out no all man are gifted with the same faculty so they might not be prudent enough to judge the write or wrong. So why to have them something which they use only for their distruction.
@Puneeta
Though its not easy to extirpate the embeded prejudice as you say ..I believe its not impossible...And think in a positive way ...suppose we are being poisoned by our progenitors ( if I can be so audacious to say so) but having possessed even a dual mind like us ( if we are mere pretender) what will we pass on to our progeny..just a diluted sense of casticism ..religion...and other kindred philosophies...
So some day will come when these unimortant teachings will scater from the mind of people ( theoretically).
wow,i fell in love with this poem in school...
hey that is what we are all doing...shouting from rooftops!
only as individuals can we do something.practically,i dont think its possible for us to unite and say...yeh we abolish religion!
i say,each one,try to be indifferent to religion and do what u feel is best-stay away from fanaticism!
bahut achha lagal he.
wonderful collection.
akra se self respects apan des ke bare bodh howechhe.
I become very glad after reading all the contents. Every one should read such poems which inspires anyone very much to think about thier country & countries people.
Post a Comment
<< Home