Tuesday, August 09, 2005

About authors and their writing styles-Ayn Rand

I love reading books. Though I read them irrespective of their genre or theme; I have certain reservations towards certain type of books. I prefer books preferably dealing with the intricacy of human psychology. I also like to read books describing some unprecedented and bizarre tale. Being an engineer by education and a buff of science by usual disposition I also love reading science fictions. Before I forget I must point out my passion for poetry inclusive of Urdu Ghazals and Suktiyan in Sanskrit.

I am very critical about the quality of the book I read. I can discount the lack of relevant subjects but I can't condone if I find the book a mere bromide. I strongly believe that the creativity and uniqueness are ingredients of highest import for a good writing.

I dedicate this post on my favorite authors and books. Every author has an unique style of writing....in this post I would like to discover those fingureprints of authors.



Ayn Rand in The Fountainhead





I start with Ayn Rand. It might seem to be premature to comment on her style as I have read only one of her book- "The Fountainhead". So I will cite referenes only from this book to bolster my arguments.

Born as Alice Rosenbaum in St. Petersburg, Rusia, she was a firm supporter of individualism. She never seems to adopt the long established and practiced Aristotelic's philosophy:

Man is not the best of things in the universe
(Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics VI)

She advocates the individual power and importance of conviction as quoted in The Objectivist Ethics-

The basic social principle of the Objectivist ethics is that just as life is an end in itself, so every living human being is an end in himslef, not the means to the ends or the welfare of others...
(The Objectivist Ethics, 1961)


Such philosophy should not be misconstrued as she says about her philosophy in more lucid words:

My philosophy, in essense, is the concept of man as a heroic being with his own happiness as the moral purpose of his life, with productive achievement as his nolest activity, and reason as his only absolute-Ayn Rand


The Fountainhead
in the cursory reading seems to be mere a story of an adamant however an extremely devoted architect, Howard Roark. But a slight more cerebration gives the glimpses of the power of conviction of Ayn Rand and presents the conception of new doctrinaire.

The story begins in the serenest possible manner in a manner that it disguises the magniloquence to be seen in the due development of the story. She maintains a rhythm ... an impressive and optimized celerity throughout her book.

The interesting thing about her style I noted is her bohemian introduction of her characters. She uses a new or existing (sometimes redundant as least it seems to many of her reader) character to introduce a new or existing character in a new plot. She very nicely uses references and cross-references to give every shade of the psyche of her characters as viewed by others. In doing so sometimes she becomes too diffuse to maintain the interest of the reader.

She sometime overwork on a particular character to such an extent that the reader feels detached with other characters. Lacking in maintain a parallel between different stories sometimes make it a little less compelling. Nevertheless a not so critical reader is so absorbed in the grand and consummate description of the ongoing story that he usually fails to notice any such incompetency.

One of the most remarkable and unconventional of the author is the formulation of her character for they are psychologically intact decanted with strong unadulterate-able conviction. With all her unique allusions and insinuations she delineates a character. She is amazingly adept at depiction of human psyche. The story develops with the course of time but whatever may come, the characters never abandon their psyche as if they are beyond alloying. However maintaining her esoteric portrayal she makes it not-so-easy to predict her characters actions and intentions in a particular situation.

She deserves kudos for her equally absorbing denouement of the story. The words finish but the story never stops. The momentum it gains takes the story much further to a new horizon in the reader's imagination. This is the most adorable of her writing (especially I take it so as I hate end ... let there always be a beginning)

1 Comments:

At 7:15 PM, Blogger Nitin Garg said...

hi GC nice blog i have to refer a dictionary quite number of times but it was worth doing so.i have read fountainhead ages ago so am unable to recollect everything. But this time i am gearing up for atlas shrugged.tnks to your wonderful blog. may be it will start today only.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home